Looking across the rooftops of Mürren to the rooftops of the Bernese Alps: the Bernese Oberland World Heritage Site.
Photo looking southeast from the balcony at Chalet Jungfrau to the wall of north faces of the Bernese Alps copyright Home At First.
Mürren sits high above the Lauterbrunnen Valley.
The village is accessible only by cablecar.
Not far southwest of the geographic center of Switzerland, mile-high (5,413′), chocolate box Mürren — set on along a steep cliff face a vertical half-mile above the valley floor below — is reachable only by aerial cablecars. Mürren is a car-free village of alpine chalets offering fantastic views of the peaks and glaciers and superb walking and hiking possibilities. Despite Mürren’s remote eagle’s nest setting, the village is a fine base for exploring the Bernese Oberland and its alpine core, the Jungfrau Region, and is ideal for those looking for the romantic Switzerland of Heidi.
Mürren’s popularity as a day-trip destination has much to do with its location along the cablecar route to the 9,742′ high summit of the Schilthorn, with its tourist-magnet revolving restaurant, Piz Gloria, and associations with James Bond and extreme downhill skiing. Mürren can be very busy during the ski season and during the high summer (July-August), but even at these times the village — lacking major hotels, bars, & shopping centers — quiets again at dusk. Mürren’s town COOP grocery and dozen or so small restaurants — all owned and operated by local families — are sufficient to handle its busiest times graciously.
Active guests choose from hiking, climbing, mountain-biking, or chancing Mürren’s unique via ferrata. Less active guests find Mürren ideal for a spa, strolling the traffic-free village streets, nursing a coffee, a beer, or a glass of wine at any of several cafés in the village or in neighboring Allmendhubel, Gimmelwald, Grütschalp, and Winteregg — all reached by short cable-car or train rides. Regardless of the pace of your visit, Mürren promises you peace.
Home At First’s Mürren
Mürren: Chalets Jungfrau & Silberhorn
HOME AT FIRST offers vacation apartments in several locations in the village of Mürren set on its remote, cliff-side perch high in the Bernese Oberland. Although most apartments are decorated and comfortably furnished in traditional Swiss alpine style, a few have modern furnishings. All apartments are clean, well cared for, and well-equipped. All are within reasonable walking distance to the stores, services, numerous restaurants, and to Mürren’s three transportation stations. Although Mürren is built on the east slope of the Schilthorn mountain, few of our chalet apartments are affected much by the hillside, with the longest uphill walk to any apartment from Mürren’s main street being less than 5 minutes.
CHALET APARTMENT HOSTING: Each apartment has secure entry, and Mürren is a safe, prosperous, residential community. Importantly, all HOME AT FIRST Mürren apartments come with experienced, caring, English-speaking hosting on-site or very close by.
VILLAGE SETTING & TRANSPORTATION: Mürren is a compact village of just 450 permanent residents set on a high shelf one-half-mile above the Lauterbrunnen Valley floor in the center of the Bernese Oberland. The village is reached by large aerial cablecars from Stechelberg (via Gimmelwald) to its Schilthornbahn station on the south end of Mürren, and by an isolated, narrow-gauge railway (the BLM) to the BLM railway station on Mürren’s north end. Railway passenger to/from Mürren use a large aerial cablecar from Lauterbrunnen that connects with trains at the BLM end station at Grütschalp 2½ miles north of Mürren. Midway between Mürren’s two principal stations at the top of town is its third cableway station, the steep Allmendhubelbahn funicular that climbs to the hiking paradise of Mürren’s cheese alps at Allmendhubel, at the intersection of several key hiking trails, with a mountain restaurant, a kids’ alpine playground, and a striking panorama of the Bernese Alps.
VILLAGE SERVICES: Despite Mürren’s small size, there are a dozen or so restaurants in town and on the surrounding cheese alps, ranging from snack bars to 4-star dining. The village also has two churches — one Protestant and one Roman Catholic, very close to each other near the top of Mürren. Just above the churches is Mürren’s alpine Sportzentrum (Sports Center) which houses the well-staffed Tourist Information Office, an indoor pool, a spa, a gym and games room, and outdoor soccer and skating facilities. Mürren has a handful of shops offering souvenirs, and sporting goods for sale & rental (including boots & poles for hiking and skiing, and mountain bikes). During the non-skiing months of the year, Mürren has no town doctor, and no location for currency exchange. Both services are available most closely in central Lauterbrunnen town not far from the BLM cableway valley station and the BOB train station: two banks and a well-respected physician.
BLM “train” nearing Mürren.
HIKING IN MÜRREN’S AMAZING ALPINE SETTING
Alpine hiking is about enjoying the magnificence of Swiss Nature. Miles of hiking trails surround Mürren, and begin right outside your chalet apartment’s door. Trails range from easy to very challenging, from short to long, from meadows, to forests, to treeline and above. Many trails are dotted with mountain cafés and restaurants. Cold drinking water from standpipes at mountain springs is commonplace. You will see (& hear) animals: mostly cows, some sheep and goats, and, if you watch closely, eagles, marmots, chamois, and ibex.
Hiking in the meadows above Mürren, your senses are delighted by the sweetness of the alpine air, the majesty of the Bernese Alps, and the music of cowbells. This region ranks with Switzerland’s most glorious cheese country, and the mountain cheese produced here is among Switzerland’s best.
Home At First’s Mürren Lodgings
What are Home At First’s Mürren chalet apartments like?
• HOSTING: All Home At First chalet apartments in Mürren have friendly, knowledgeable, helpful, accessible hosts. Hosts may be the lodging owners or their representatives. Most live in their independent apartment in the same chalet or a neighboring chalet. Hosts will welcome you, show you around the apartment, explain its workings, and be on-call if questions, problems, or emergencies arise. Otherwise, you can expect to see a familiar, friendly face from time-to-time during your stay, working in the garden or stopping by your apartment to see how you are getting on.
• KITCHENS: Full kitchens or practical kitchenettes with at the very least: fridge, coffee maker, tea kettle, stove top range, oven and/or toaster oven and/or microwave. Most have additional counter appliances. Many have dishwashers as well as clothes washer/dryers. All kitchen and bath towels & linens provided.
• BEDROOMS: Most bedrooms have twin beds. Some twin beds can be secured and made-up together to form a large double bed. A few multi-bedroom lodgings may have a queen-size or king-size bed in one of the bedrooms, but these are rare. Larger family-size lodgings often have one bedroom with bunk beds.
• BATHROOMS: Most bathrooms have a shower stall or a bathtub with overhead shower. Some few bathrooms may have a bathtub with hand-held shower, or a bathtub for bathing only.
• LAUNDRY FACILITIES: Those apartments without clothes washer/dryers will have a common laundry room in the chalet you may use or a laundromat nearby in the village.
• PARKING: Mürren is not accessible by car. We recommend that guests coming to Mürren travel by public transportation using a Swiss Travel Pass or a regional Berner Oberland Pass. Visitors traveling by car will necessarily need to park in Lauterbrunnen or Stechelberg at the base of the cablecars leading to Mürren. Such parking is quite limited and rather expensive.
• ELECTRONICS: Apartments have televisions, usually the flat-screen, cable variety. Most have free WiFi, although service can be spotty away from the chalet. Few apartments come with telephones. Bring or rent a cell phone for your trip, but remember that service is spotty in the Swiss Alps. NOTE: WiFi service is available on some trains.
• PROXIMITY TO STORES & SERVICES: All chalet apartments in Mürren are within short walking distance to stores and services, and transportation. Opening times for stores varies by season, with long opening hours most days during the high seasons.