Home At First’s Life in London — The 1,000 year old Tower of London holds court between the new towers of London city and the iconic Tower Bridge.
The above photo was taken from the south bank of the River Thames within 3-20 walking minutes of Home At First‘s London apartments.
LONDON — CAPITAL CITY of the ENGLISH-SPEAKING WORLD —
Experience Home At First’s Life in London: Independent Travel using Quality Vacation Apartments
Walk out your apartment door into 2,000 years of history & culture.
The Romans encamped here two millennia ago. Celts, Angles, Saxons, and Normans followed over the next millennium, creating the first English city. Everyone should experience life in London. It just might be the most youthful and interesting city in the world. London is chaotic, loud, diverse, and sophisticated. It is British Babylon. It is theatre, shopping, museums, royal pageantry, landmarks, red buses, and black cabs. London is the North Bank, the South Bank, the East End, and the West End. London is ancient. London is cutting-edge modern. London is Shakespeare, Dickens, Victoria, Churchill, the Beatles, Queen Elizabeth I, and Queen Elizabeth II and thousands of the most influential persons ever to live. You can find them all still alive in London. Home At First’s Life in London is time travel.
Home At First’s LIFE in LONDON Travel Program in a Nutshell:
HOW IT WORKS—
Home At First’s Life in London: Independent Travel with Quality Vacation Apartments.
NOTE — FOR BEST VIEWING: move from slide to slide (forward or reverse) by clicking on the direction arrows below each slide. To see any image on this site in large format on a PC, “right click” on the selected slide and click on the “Open image in new tab” (Chrome) or “View Background Image” (Firefox).
First — Request a Free Trip Proposal
• Contact Home At First. Tell us about your travel dream of Home At First’s Life in London, England. We will tell you about getting there, where we stay (you’ll love our London apartments and their central locations!), and how best to get around (via public transport and by walking).
A SAMPLER of LIFE in LONDON ACTIVITIES & DESTINATIONS
THE FOLLOWING SCENES ARE WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE OR A TRANSIT TRIP OF 30 MINUTES OR LESS FROM HOME AT FIRST’S LIFE IN LONDON APARTMENTS
Second — We Design Your Dream Trip for You
• We prepare a proposed itinerary & cost estimate with all the lodgings & transportation you need to experience Life in London independently using a quality vacation apartment. We send our individualized itinerary proposal to you via email and/or postal mail.
• You review our proposal; accept it, reject it, or revise it until we have it just right for you. It is, after all, your dream trip, to be done the way you wish.
• Once accepted, we request an initial payment by check along with your signed acceptance.
• We begin putting your plans in place, securing your LODGINGS, FLIGHT RESERVATIONS & TICKETS, LONDON TRANSPASSES and/or any TRAIN TICKETS required. Most Home At First Life in London guests arrive by air at London’s Heathrow or Gatwick Airports; many others come from elsewhere in the British Isles or from Paris by train, or other parts of Europe by air.
• Payment in full is due 90 days prior to departure, or when you are ready to lock in your included airfares, whichever comes first.
Third — Departure Day Finally Arrives
• All travel documents for your trip — including our exclusive “London Activity Guide” — will be sent to you by 30 days prior to your trip departure date.
• You follow our directions for your transfer from your arrival point to your London apartment lodging, where you will be met at a pre-set time by your lodging’s host, who will show you the apartment, explain its workings, see to your comfort, and let you get some rest.
• Have a nap. Get some groceries for your kitchen. Make supper or go out for a meal. The fun begins now as you begin to experience Home At First‘s Life in London independently from your centrally-located apartment.
LIFE in LONDON SCENES & SURPRISES
WHAT COMES WITH HOME AT FIRST’S LIFE IN LONDON TRAVEL PROGRAM?
HOME AT FIRST BUILDS INDIVIDUAL TRAVEL PACKAGES TO LONDON THAT INCLUDE:
• Quality Lodgings: a choice of apartments in safe, pleasant neighborhoods located in east-central London convenient to the Underground (“the Tube”; the subway in American), and near a wide variety of shops, restaurants, cafés, and other services. All apartments come with hosts on-site or on-call during your stay for questions, suggestions, problems, or emergencies. Home At First‘s Life in London lodging locations are ideal bases for exploring London independently & efficiently from your own quality vacation apartment.
• Round-trip Flights: Our airline experts plan your round-trip flights to London from your home airport. Our price chart includes round-trip fares based on flights from New York (JFK) or Newark (EWR) to London (LHR or LGW). Flights from/to all other airports available for applicable fare supplements or reductions.
• London Transport Pass: valid for travel throughout 9 zones of Greater London on the trains of the London Underground (“Tube”), Crossrail (from Heathrow Airport), Docklands Light Railway, Thameslink (from Gatwick Airport), and the London Overground, as well as London Transport buses, and certain passenger cruise lines on the River Thames.
• Guidebook Keyed for Your Destination: our exclusive “London Activities Guide” helps you make the most out of your visit. Includes suggestions for touring, walking, restaurants, pubs, shopping, museums, galleries, royal London, day-trips to destinations outside London, and much more.
• Optional Combination with Paris: Experience your own Tale of Two Cities. Before or after your 1-week visit to London, add a week in an apartment in Home At First‘s Paris. Conveniently, both cities are connected in about 2.5 hours by Eurostar train via the Channel Tunnel.
Home At First’s Life in London: Locations & Lodgings
St. Katharine’s Marina with Tower Bridge, The Shard, and the skyscrapers of the City of London. Home At First has visitor apartments in and around the marina, close to transportation (Underground, buses, riverboat cruisers, light rail, and trains), shops, restaurants, pubs, and 2,000 years of history. Traffic-free walkways along both banks of the River Thames lead to the Tower of London, the Monument of the Great Fire of 1666, St. Paul’s Cathedral, the HMS Belfast heavy cruiser, Southwark Cathedral (Shakespeare’s church), the Globe Theatre, Millennium Bridge, and the Tate Modern art museum. Along the footpaths are pubs, shops, restaurants, and — along the south bank side — the delightful Borough Market open-air shopping mecca. Convenient public transportation puts all of central London within easy reach — longest journey time: 45 minutes. Home At First‘s apartments are located across the Tower Bridge neighborhood, from the western end of upscale Wapping to Monument on the north side of the Thames, and from historic Shad Thames throughout Bermondsey west to London Bridge. Take a moment to study the above Home At First Map of Central & East London to get a good impression of the ideal nature of Home At First’s Life in London Lodging Locations.
Home At First’s Life in London Apartments
Minimum lodging time in London: 3-7 nights. Our recommendation: first-time visitors need at least 7 nights to get to know the city.
Home At First’s Life in London apartments range in size — from studios to 3-bedrooms — sleeping anywhere from 1 person to 7 persons. Our apartments vary in location, and are found in interesting, safe, central, convenient neighborhoods across east-central London from a little east of Tower Bridge to a little west of London Bridge on both sides of the River Thames. Our apartments are generally modern in decorative style and furnishings, well-maintained and comfortable. Many have usable outdoor space — balconies, patios, or terraces — ideal for snacking, light meals, or relaxing during fine weather.
A Selection of London Apartments & Locations
Shown and described below are four popular Home At First Life in London apartments in three different locations. They are shown here as examples of different sizes and capacities. While the full range of our available Life in London apartments and locations to choose from is extensive, the standard of quality and service is the same regardless of apartment or location.
NOTE — FOR BEST VIEWING: each of the following apartment descriptions begins with a slide show.
These slide shows do not advance automatically. You can move from slide to slide (forward or reverse) by clicking on the direction arrows below each slide.
To see any slide in large format on a PC, “right click” on the selected slide and click on the “Open image in new tab” (Chrome) or “View Background Image” (Firefox).
st. katharine’s marina — 1-bedroom FLAT: “QUEEN MARY I”
QUEEN MARY I APARTMENT
Nearest Transit: Tower Hill — Circle, District, & DLR Lines.
Located in within the traffic-free sanctuary of St. Katharine’s Marina, Home At First‘s Queen Mary I Apartment overlooks one of the marina’s three nearly silent yacht basins. Life in London is very good here, indeed. Its comfortable, furnished balcony enjoys the peace and beauty of its upscale setting while showcasing a sweeping view of London, featuring glimpses of such iconic structures as Tower Bridge, The Shard, and the Walkie Talkie among the towering cranes of the city’s evolving skyline.
The 2-3 person apartment is three floors above the marina’s pedestrian walkway. Its modern decor is both functional and attractive, with blond, hardwood floors in all rooms except the tiled bathroom. The comfortable apartment is spotlessly clean, lovingly maintained, safe, and secure.
A small (2-4 persons) elevator arrives at the 3rd floor hall near the flat’s entry. Inside the apartment, the entry hall opens onto the bedroom (king-sized bed), the full, modern bathroom (with large, walk-in shower; no tub), a heated utility/drying room with clothes washer, and through a door to the spacious living room, dining area, and very well-equipped kitchen. The wall-width bedroom closet and spacious utility room provide plenty of storage.
The living room features a big sofa that converts quickly into a comfortable double bed, making the apartment capacity for up to 3 persons, if need be. There is a large flat-screen TV, and free WiFi. The kitchen has the latest appliances — electric oven and stove top, microwave, sink, dishwasher, full-size fridge/freezer — and lots of cupboard and counter-top space. A 4-person dining table occupies the space between the kitchen and the living room.
The splendid, furnished balcony opens off the apartment’s living room. Its two chairs and tea table invite quiet al fresco breakfasts, late-afternoon snacks, and evening nightcaps in its sheltered, peaceful setting. The view from this balcony is ever-changing and mesmerizing at all times of year.
The apartment is non-smoking, pet-free, and centrally-heated with individual room registers as needed, but not air-conditioned. Movable floor fans are provided to provide relief on rare hot summer days in London.
The street entry is private and opened with a secure code system. A wonderful state-of-the-art Waitrose supermarket is 2-3 minutes from your apartment door. Numerous shops, cafés, restaurants, and several historic pubs are within short walks of the apartment in the pedestrians-only marina complex and along in the charming, history-rich streets of this 2,000-year-old corner of London.
st. katharine’s marina — 3-bedroom FLAT: “queen elizabeth i”
QUEEN ELIZABETH I APARTMENT
Nearest Transit: Tower Hill — Circle, District, & DLR Lines.
Home At First‘s Queen Elizabeth I Apartment is as practical as its location is desirable. Life in London is good here. Located on the 2nd & 3rd floors of the St. Katharine’s Marina complex, overlooking a quiet side street near the excellent Waitrose supermarket and a small, leafy park, the apartment is a short walk from a wide choice of restaurants, cafés, pubs, shops, stores, and just 3-to-10-minutes walk to transit (two Tube lines, the DLR, and numerous bus lines). The River Thames at London’s iconic Tower Bridge is a 5-minute walk from the apartment, and the millennium-old Tower of London — London’s most popular attraction — is 6 minutes away.
The 2-story flat is reached by a small (2-4 person capacity) elevator accessed just inside the security-coded front door of the apartment building, or by a stairway or a ramp from ground level to the 2nd floor.
The apartment’s entry opens onto a hallway leading to the large, living/dining room (with its access to the private, furnished patio/terrace, and the eat-in kitchen. A stairway (12 stair steps) climbs from the hallway to the apartment’s upper floor, where there are three bedrooms and one bathroom. Maximum capacity of this 3-bedroom, 1-bathroom, 2-story flat is 6 persons, and is ideal for families or small groups willing to share a bathroom. The apartment has free WiFi and internet. Separately controlled in room heating keeps the apartment comfortable during cooler months. A washer/dryer is tucked away in a back corner of the kitchen.
• Lower Floor: The spacious living/dining room is comfortably furnished with a sizable, L-shaped sofa, a large, flat-screen cable TV, and a dining table with seating for 4 persons. Glass double doors open onto the private, open-air patio/terrace, furnished with tables and chairs for lounging or dining in good weather. A modern, well-equipped kitchen opens across the central hall from the living/dining room. The kitchen includes a full-sized refrigerator/freezer, gas range and oven, microwave, dishwasher, and lots of cupboard and counter space. The kitchen’s small bar is a popular place for breakfast and snacks, and seats 3 persons.
• Upper Floor: Upstairs are two double bedrooms and a kids’ bedroom, a full bathroom (tub/shower) and a separate powder room. The master bedroom features a queen-sized bed, a flat-screen TV, a wall-length built-in closet, and a small balcony with a view over the lightly-trafficked street and neighboring rooftops. A small second double bedroom does provide a full-sized wardrobe for storage. The third bedroom has a trundle bed that can sleep one or two children. It, too, has a full-sized wardrobe.